Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Patient Care Pavilion
Location: Oakland, CA
Owner: Sutter Health
General Contractor: DPR Construction
Architect: Devenney Group Ltd.
Low-CO2 Concrete from Central Concrete
- 250,000 sf ground-up project
- Broke ground in 2010, scheduled to open 2014
- Targeting LEED silver certification
- Two major components: patient care tower and a basement and rooftop central utility plant; tower will stand 11 stories tall, with two additional floors underground
- Milestone/Topping Out Celebrated on February 28, 2102.
- Quick Factoids, courtesy of Summit Medical Center, February 2012:
- Ceremonial bean is 18 feet long and weighs 490 lbs.
- 463 concrete pilings were drilled 30 – 95 feet below ground in January 2012 for the new building to sit on, requiring 3100 yards of grout to fill. These piling result in an earthquake safe structure.
- 1600 tons of rebar
- 3700 tons of steel
- 10,000 yards of concrete
- 130,200,000: number of construction hours to-date
- Estimated workforce: ~ 270